Can bad teeth cause health problems?

Oral health touches every aspect of our lives but is often taken for granted. Your mouth is a window into the health of your body. It can show signs of nutritional deficiencies or general infection. Systemic diseases, those that affect the entire body, may first become apparent because of mouth lesions or other oral problems.

Many people believe that they need to see a dentist only if they are in pain or think something is wrong, but regular dental visits can contribute to a lifetime of good oral health.
Teeth that are in poor condition may produce an abundance of bacteria that could lead to oral infections. If left untreated the infectious bacteria could spread to other parts of your body, causing additional health problems. Researchers believe that some forms of heart disease, stroke, and chronic inflammation may be linked to bacteria generated in the mouth.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

What are the benefits of dental work to improve my smile?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
There are many ways to brighten or enhance your smile. The best method is by practicing good, regula...
What is clinical attachment loss, or CAL, in women?
Dentists and periodontists use the term clinical attachment loss (CAL) to determine the extent of pe...
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?