Why are my teenager's sleeping habits changing?

During the teenage years, the sleep cycle changes from getting sleepy around 8 to 9 p.m. to between 10 and 11 p.m. This is likely linked to puberty, but the exact cause is unknown. Teens also may need more sleep, and should get between eight to ten hours a night for full rest. Sleep is more important than ever in the teen years as it is vital for the growing body and mind.
Studies have shown that during adolescence, circadian rhythms change. These include a shift in the timing of the release of the sleep-hormone melatonin, and changes in sensitivity to light at certain times of day and night. These biological adjustments to teens’ circadian clocks result in significant transformation of adolescents sleep patterns:
  • Teens become more prone to daytime sleepiness, and more alert at night
  • Teens experience a delayed onset of sleep
These biological shifts are not confined to humans. Studies show that other mammals also experience similar changes in sleep patterns during adolescence. Research also indicates that these biological changes -- and their impact on sleep -- begin often before physical changes of puberty are apparent. As early as age 11, children’s bedtimes are delayed, and total sleep amounts are reduced.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Do Early Birds Live Longer Than Night Owls?
Q: I hear people who are night owls aren’t as healthy as morning people. My mom rarely went to sleep before 1AM and died at the age of 65, and I have ...
What can interfere with sleep quality?
The following are behaviors to avoid to improve the quality of your sleep: Having caffeine after l...
What are some sleeping tips for mothers?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Far too often, moms find themselves doing last-minute chores and tasks long after the day should hav...
Why Sleep Is Crucial for Success
Why Sleep Is Crucial for Success