Why is it important to get enough sleep?

Like eating healthily and exercising, getting enough restful sleep is critical to good health. Sleep allows your body to rest and restore energy, while at the same time carrying out important physiological and psychological functions that affect your physical and mental health.

Many people don't get the ideal amount of sleep they need and become chronically sleep-deprived. Research finds that sleep loss accumulates over time leading to a sleep debt. Insufficient restful sleep can lead to mental and physical health problems, low energy and memory lapses.
Sleep is vital for your health and well-being: the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) calls insufficent sleep a public health epidemic. According to research, 50 to 70 million U.S. adults have sleep or wakefulness disorders.

Sleep helps your brain work properly. If you’re not getting enough sleep, you may have difficulty making decisions and solving problems, trouble controlling your emotions and behavior, and problems coping with change. Sleep deficiency has also been linked to depression, suicide and risk-taking behavior. Moreover, ongoing sleep deficiency is linked to an increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and stroke.

How much sleep is required? For adults, between seven to eight hours.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.
Chronic sleep deprivation adversely affects mood and also is associated with long-term health consequences, including diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease. Therefore, getting adequate sleep can help increase life expectancy. The ideal amount varies per person, but make sure you feel well rested in the morning.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

5 Ways to Spring Forward Easier
5 Ways to Spring Forward Easier
The time has come to spring ahead. On Sunday, March 8 at 2 a.m., most people across the United States will move their clocks ahead by one hour for da...
How can my kids' bedtime and midnight snacks affect their weight?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Kids -- teens especially -- are particularly prone to late and erratic bedtimes, midnight snacks...
Can a full-night's sleep protect me from infection in an air journey?
It would be very hard to prove that a full night’s sleep can protect you from infection, since there...
How Can Sleeping Too Much Be Harmful to My Health?