Why should I avoid using the snooze button on my alarm clock?

Carol Ash, DO
Pulmonary Disease
If you need an alarm clock to wake and you often hit the snooze button, it's an indicator that you have poor sleep habits and hygiene. Watch internist and sleep expert Carol Ash, DO, explain why you should avoid hitting the snooze button.
Healthiness starts with the buzz of your alarm clock in the morning. Make it a goal to avoid the snooze button. While the urge to sleep an extra nine minutes may be strong, that sleep isn’t the healthy restorative sleep you need to stay energized during the day. It’s just a time waster. In fact, if you usually find yourself playing snooze-tag for 20 or more minutes, you would benefit more from going to bed 20 minutes earlier.

To avoid the snooze button, place your alarm clock on the dresser across the room so you have to get out of bed to turn off the alarm clock every morning. Also, set the clock 15 minutes ahead in the morning; when you wake up, you'll think it’s later than it actually is.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

When It’s Smart to Be in the Dark
When It’s Smart to Be in the Dark
Research has shown sleeping in a dimly lit—instead of dark—environment is associated with disruption of circadian rhythm (your internal body clock) an...
What are some risks of sleep medications?
Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, NDDr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
In 2008, over 56 million sleep medications were prescribed in the United States, and most expert...
What are some foods that can help me sleep better?
Trip up your wakefulness and doze off with these handy bedtime snacks (stay within 200 calories and ...
How Does Caffeine Affect My Sleep?
How Does Caffeine Affect My Sleep?