Why should I avoid eating before going to sleep?

What you eat and drink influences how well your body gets ready for bed. If your habit is to have a late dinner and then go to sleep within an hour or two, the activity of digestion will keep your brain and body awake longer.

For your evening meal, you don't want to exceed 500 to 700 calories at least two hours before bedtime. Avoid eating a lot of protein in that meal because protein contributes to alertness. Carbohydrates, which tend to have a calming effect, are a better choice.

You might want to rethink that brownie after dinner or late afternoon cup of tea as well. People with sleep problems who drink caffeinated coffee, tea or soda, or eat chocolate (which contains caffeine) ought to eliminate or reduce their caffeine intake. Caffeine stays in your system for up to seven hours and may keep you alert for 20 hours.

It also stimulates restless legs syndrome (RLS), a condition that can cause insomnia and makes it hard to fall asleep. If you don't want to give up caffeine entirely, time your consumption to end by midday.

Does a full bladder regularly wake you up at night? It helps to time your last beverage for about three hours before bedtime. Even if you don't have that problem, forget the nightcap. Alcohol may make you drowsy at first, but it causes fragmented or light sleep once your body starts metabolizing it.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

How Does Caffeine Affect My Sleep?
How Does Caffeine Affect My Sleep?
How Can a Bedtime Ritual Help Me Sleep Better?
I Wake up Each Morning with a Stiff Neck; What Can I Do?
What Alternative Treatments Can Help Me Fall Asleep?