What time should I go to bed?

Most of the time, this is very individual and can change based on your personal needs and lifestyle. Here are some general guidelines:

•    Determine your normal wake up time (during the work week)
•    Next, count backwards about seven-and-a-half hours.  For the math buffs, this should be approximately five 90-minute cycles (the average sleepy cycle is about 90 minutes.   
•    Use this time you just determined as your target bedtime.
•    If you still need an alarm clock to wake you after a week of going to sleep at your target bedtime, you should push your bedtime back by 15 minutes.  Ideally, you want to wake up just before the alarm. For example, if you need to wake up at 6:30 get in bed at 11:00.  If after a week still need an alarm to wake up, trying going to bed at 1045 for a week and see what happens.

I'm big on planning, so decide when you want to wake up and count backward about seven hours. Now take about a 15-minute period before that to start your slowdown process. That means taking five minutes to finish up must-do chores, followed by five minutes of hygiene stuff (flossing, washing face, and so on) and five minutes of relaxing into your sleep state, through things like meditation and saying "I love you" as you lie in bed.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

From the Authors of the #1 Bestselling YOU: On A Diet and YOU: On a WalkWouldn't you like to know how to prevent your body from aging badly? Most of us believe that at age 40 or so, we begin the slow...
Good sleep hygiene includes getting about 8 hours of sleep every night, not having distractions in the bedroom such as TVs or lighted clocks, avoiding activities in bed other than sleep or sex, not ingesting caffeine after lunch, exercising regularly (but more than 3 or 4 hours before bedtime), avoiding afternoon naps, and going to bed and waking up at the same time. Therefore, you should go to bed at a time that will allow you to get about 8 hours of sleep every night and have a consistent bedtime and waking time, including on weekends. Going to bed later or waking up later to "sleep in" can decrease the quality of your sleep.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Why Veterans Can't Sleep
Why Veterans Can't Sleep
After one poor night's sleep, your focus and mood take a hit. But when sleep troubles become chronic, they can affect your weight, your immune system,...
Should I take medications to improve my sleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The medications currently on the market will only improve the quantity of your sleep, not the qualit...
6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight
6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight
Here's a hint: your sleep position makes a big difference. Roughly 90 million American adults snore. It's often caused by the constriction of air flow...
4 Tips to Fight Foot Cramps
4 Tips to Fight Foot Cramps