What are some risks of sleep medications?

Some of the risks involved with sleep medication include dependency, depression, dizziness and light-headedness, which can lead to a loss of coordination and falls. With prolonged used there can be withdrawal symptoms if discontinued suddenly.
Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
In 2008, over 56 million sleep medications were prescribed in the United States, and most experts believe the stress from worldwide economic challenges have only increased these numbers. While these pills can help us fall and stay asleep, it is known that these medications do not allow the body to fall into the deep phases of sleep that allow for the best health benefits sleep can give us. It is also well known that all of these medications have a risk of dependence and withdrawal effects, which can make them hard to stop using.

Most alarming, a large study of 30,000 people published in the British Medical Journal found a 300% increase in deaths in people who took fewer than 18 sleeping pills a year (less than two a month). Higher doses were linked to a greater than 500% increase in death. The authors of this study concluded that these sleeping drugs “may have been associated with 320,000 to 507,000 excess deaths in the USA alone.”

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Study Confirms Dangerous Side Effects of Oversleeping
At the beginning of the 1999 comedy Office Space, corporate tech worker Peter’s hypnotherapist dies in the middle of his session, leaving him in a tra...
Why should I get enough sleep if I am on a diet?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
When you are dieting, getting ample sleep is essential. If your body does not have enough energy...
How is sleep disrupted in new mothers?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
A study revealed, not to my surprise, that new moms experienced highly fragmented sleep that ste...
Lose Sleep, Gain Weight
Lose Sleep, Gain Weight