What is a sleep vacation?

Around the world, hotels, spas and even nightclubs are designing getaways that cater to a sleep-deprived clientele. Here are a few of the most indulgent sleep getaways from around the world, according to the UK's Guardian newspaper:
  • In London, the Milestone Hotel offers what it calls a "Sleep Experience Package," which is designed specifically for guests who have insomnia. This getaway includes private consultation with a sleep expert, massage, aromatherapy tools, and overnight sleep monitoring. In addition to a traditional room service menu, the hotel offers its sleep-deprived customers a "pillow menu."
  • The Grand Resort Bad Ragaz in Switzerland offers a getaway that it calls "sleep diagnostics in a 5-star atmosphere." During a stay, guests receive a physical exam and medical consultation, including weight and body mass index (BMI) analysis. Overnight, guests have their sleep monitored by electroencephalography (EEG) and their night's shut-eye recorded on video, for analysis of sleep habits and patterns.
  • In Paris, the Hotel Gabriel Paris Marais has rooms equipped with a sound and light system designed to help guests fall asleep and stay asleep. Paris is also home to Zen Bar a Sieste. Calling itself "Europe's First Nap Bar," bar offers its patrons the chance to purchase snooze time on zero-gravity chairs or massage beds.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Why Poor Sleep Could Derail Weight Loss, Increase Heart Disease Risk
Women who routinely fall short on quality sleep are not only more likely to overeat but also more likely to follow a poor-quality diet, according to a...
How can having a sleep routine help me sleep better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Establish a regular, relaxing nighttime ritual. By doing the same calming ritual before going to bed...
What can I do to make sure I get enough sleep to function properly?
While the amount of sleep necessary for proper functioning varies for each individual, most people s...
What Are Some Hidden Sources of Caffeine?