What is light protection?

Depending on the precise time of day of light exposure, the internal clock will shift either earlier or later. For example, inadvertent evening light exposure can delay the clock and suppress pineal melatonin when the therapeutic goal is to advance the clock. This can confound efforts to achieve normal sleep onset. The most active delaying agent falls in the short-wavelength visible range of light. Using appropriately filtered wraparound lenses at the end of the day these disruptive effects can be minimized in coordination with afternoon or evening melatonin treatment, morning light therapy, or both.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

How Often You Should Wash Your Sheets (Really)
If you’re getting the recommended amount of sleep each night, you’re spending at least 49 hours in your bed on a weekly basis. It also means things li...
What are some tips for taking a good nap?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Some tips for a taking good nap: late afternoon is best, don't nap more than 40 minutes, and nap in ...
6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight
6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight
Here's a hint: your sleep position makes a big difference. Roughly 90 million American adults snore. It's often caused by the constriction of air flow...
What Can I Do About Night Sweats?
What Can I Do About Night Sweats?