What can help me get more comfortable in bed?

There are many reasons people have difficulty relaxing comfortably in bed -- including a bedroom environment that isn’t conducive for sleep. Very often, though, this has to do with tight muscles. The solution: bed yoga. After a long day, some simple stretching can help loosen muscles and prepare you for sleep. Here are two of my favorites, which you can do right in bed:

The Twist:
  • Sit up in bed and cross your legs while they are straight out, or sit cross-legged.
  • Turn your body to the left and try to look directly over your left shoulder.
  • Breathe deeply: Breathing in 1, 2, 3 and out, 1, 2, 3.
  • Repeat by turning your body to the right.
The Figure 4 Stretch:
  • Sit up in bed with your legs straight out in front of you.
  • Next, bend your right leg at the knee and lay it across your other leg so your right ankle is resting comfortably on top of your left knee. This configuration looks like the number 4.
  • Now, reach your right hand into the center of the “4” and put your left hand on the outside of your left leg.
  • Gently lift your left leg toward your chest.
  • You should begin to feel the stretch in your right glute. 
  • Repeat with the opposite leg.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

What to Eat When You Cannot Sleep
What to Eat When You Cannot Sleep
One of the main casualties of our always-on, push-notified, binge-watching world is sleep. What’s worrisome is that we may not realize just how much o...
Should I take medications to improve my sleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The medications currently on the market will only improve the quantity of your sleep, not the qualit...
How can I stay asleep at night?
Here are some stay-asleep strategies: Don't watch the clock. Hide the clocks in your bedroom or ...
About the Sleep With Me Podcast
About the Sleep With Me Podcast