What can I do to make sure I get enough sleep to function properly?

While the amount of sleep necessary for proper functioning varies for each individual, most people should aim for seven to eight hours a night. To make sure that you're getting this amount, avoid factors that can disrupt your snooze session, like drinking caffeinated or alcoholic beverages, vigorously exercising, arguing with a partner or using electronics during the couple of hours before bedtime. You may also want to avoid large or spicy meals and foods containing caffeine (think chocolate) near bedtime.

Instead, establish a soothing routine like taking a bath or doing some relaxation exercises, like meditation or gentle yoga.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Body Clock Health Secrets
Body Clock Health Secrets
Forget the clock on your wall, on your wrist, or in your smartphone. When it comes to growing healthier and more energetic, the latest research says t...
How can I stay motivated to improve my sleep habits?
Joshua C. Klapow, PhDJoshua C. Klapow, PhD
Getting a good night's sleep is one of those behaviors that is rewarding once it starts to happe...
Does Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find Out
Does Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find Out
I went to bed and woke up at the same time every day; extra energy was just one of the reasons it was awesome. I’ve always had problems getting up in ...
Improve Your Memory With a Good Night's Sleep