Can too much or too little sleep affect heart health?

Recent studies show that too little or too much sleep can be a risk factor for developing heart disease.

In a 10-year study performed by Harvard University, 5 percent of the women participating in the study slept less than five hours a night, and, of those, nearly 40 percent were more likely to suffer from heart disease than women, who averaged eight hours of sleep each night.

Too much sleep is a problem, too. Women who slept more than nine hours per night were about 37 percent more likely to experience heart trouble, according to the Harvard study's results.

Previous studies have revealed similar results for men.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

The Problem with Sleeping Pills for the Elderly
You may remember the comedienne, Irene Ryan as Granny in the Beverly Hillbillies, but does the name Jerry Brutsche ring a bell? He was her stunt doubl...
Improve Your Memory With a Good Night's Sleep
How Can I Reset My Body Clock to Sleep Better?
Can My Partner's Snoring Affect My Health?