What are the health benefits of a good night's sleep?

There are several benefits to obtaining a good night's sleep. Improved energy, mood and memory are just a few of the benefits. Sleep allows the brain to process information and form memories. Lack of sleep can affect a person's ability to learn and focus on a task.

Regularly sleeping enough helps with everything from keeping your energy up to keeping your weight down. Getting at least 6 hours of sleep a night -- but no more than 9 hours -- can make you look and feel 3.4 years younger.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Can You Make Up for Lost Sleep on the Weekends?
In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry’s godfather Sirius Black is about to suffer a fate worse than death for a crime he didn’t commit, a...
Why should I avoid eating before going to sleep?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Heavy foods too close to bedtime can upset your sleep as much as they upset your stomach. The best b...
What's a good breathing exercise to help me sleep?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Studies show that relaxation techniques such as deep abdominal breathing help to induce distal vasod...
Why is sleep important for women?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Sleep may have a greater influence on your ability to enjoy your day than household income and even ...