Is there really such a thing as beauty sleep?

Yes. During the sleep cycle, the body releases growth hormones, which fix damaged tissues, including the skin. So if you don't get enough sleep, you shortchange yourself on these repairs and cause your skin to age prematurely. Sleep also boosts the immune system, protecting against colds, flu and other illnesses.

Yes. Stages 3 and 4 sleep, also known as delta or deep sleep, are where several hormones which can affect the way we look are produced and distributed throughout the body. For example, growth hormone is distributed in the greatest amounts in deep sleep. This hormone tells our body how to grow, where to deposit fat, etc.
In addition, sleep deprivation can cause dark circles and bags under the eyes, and can even lead to weight gain.
A Swedish study showed that sleep-deprived people appear less healthy, less attractive and more tired compared with when they are well rested. Seven to eight hours of sleep a night is recommended.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Do Early Birds Live Longer Than Night Owls?
Q: I hear people who are night owls aren’t as healthy as morning people. My mom rarely went to sleep before 1AM and died at the age of 65, and I have ...
How can sleeping with my pet be harmful to my health?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Allowing your cat or dog to sleep next to you may be harmful to more than just your sleep. Letting y...
How can having a sleep routine help me sleep better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Establish a regular, relaxing nighttime ritual. By doing the same calming ritual before going to bed...
What Can I Do to Stop Waking Up During the Night?