What can I do to make my bedroom dark at night?

Heed the following:

• Remove electronics that you don’t need, including television (unless you require it to get to sleep--for some it’s relaxing), computers, laptops, and cell phone.

• Avoid having the kind of alarm clock-radio that emits a strong digital light, especially a blue one. If your sleep patterns are regular, see if you can go without an alarm clock at all!

• Use electric black tape to cover up any lights shining that are inevitably part of your bedroom setting.

• Don’t forget to check outdoor lights, too. If a backyard or front light is shining too brightly, or in the direction of a window, it could be disrupting your sleep.

We live in such a bright, digital world that we can forget that the very things of convenience can become the very villains of inconvenience when it’s time to get our shut-eye.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Sleep Problems Are Not Inevitable as You Age
“To sleep, perchance to dream,” from Hamlet, is an elusive wish for a lot who are 65 and older. In fact, almost half of Americans over the age of 65 s...
How does lack of sleep affect weight for both men and women?
Lack of sleep can affect the weight of both men and women. Sleep deprivation leads to lack of energy...
How can pets disrupt my sleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
If you’re still scratching your head wondering why you’re not feeling as refreshed as you should in ...
The Full Moon and Other Sleep Detractors