How can I make it easier to sleep in my dorm room?

Here are some dorm room makeover tips:

• If possible, strategically arrange the bedroom furniture around any incoming light and noise.

• Face the bed west if possible so that you don’t get direct sunlight in the morning.

• If you can get away from the noise but that puts you in the light, move away from the noise and buy some blackout shades.

• Consider the use of a room divider or screen. This will give you more privacy and help dampen light (and some noise) coming from your roommate.

• Decorate the area around the bed differently than the rest of the room. Keep it clutter-free, and try not to snuggle up with your cell phone. Teddy bears are better sleepmates.

• Splurge on good bedding materials that are comfortable for you:

◦ soften up a hard mattress with a featherbed
◦ lots of pillows
◦ consider a mattress topper and a plush comforter

• Keep high-wattage lights away from the bed. Most dorm rooms are equipped with desks. Keep the high-wattage lights there and install low-wattage lights (45 watts or less) anywhere near the bed.

• Position your entertainment, television and/or computer area so it’s not directly aligned with your line of vision when you’re in bed. Again consider the use of covers for the monitor and turning off the CPU itself at night.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Why Poor Sleep Could Derail Weight Loss, Increase Heart Disease Risk
Women who routinely fall short on quality sleep are not only more likely to overeat but also more likely to follow a poor-quality diet, according to a...
How do I get back to sleep after getting up in the middle of the night?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Watch as Dr. Michael Breus provides tips on how to get back to sleep after getting up in the middle ...
How is sleep disrupted in new mothers?
A study revealed, not to my surprise, that new moms experienced highly fragmented sleep that ste...
Dr. Oz and Arianna Huffington on Why Sleep Is Important