How can I stop my thoughts from racing so I can sleep?

Racing thoughts keep many people awake at night. Worrying about finances, ruminating on relationships, running through daytime tasks, trying to “memorize” a series of upcoming to-do’s -- all this thinking can inhibit sleep. One of the most effective remedies is what’s known as a Worry Journal. This is a practice that allows you to take your worries from your mind to the written page, helping you to relax.

Here’s how to start keeping a Worry Journal:
  1. Select a notebook or notepad.
  2. On a blank page, draw a line down the center, creating two columns. Do this on three pages.
  3. At the top of the first page, write: I need to remember to take care of…
  4. At the top of the second page, write: I can’t forget to…
  5. At the top of the third page, write: I am so worried about…
  6. In the left column of each page, finish the sentence at the top, writing down everything that occurs to you.
  7. In the right column, address the concern, worry, or task, by scheduling a time to think about it or deal with it.
Don’t hold back. This is your journal. No thought is too small, and no worry is silly.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

The Problem with Sleeping Pills for the Elderly
You may remember the comedienne, Irene Ryan as Granny in the Beverly Hillbillies, but does the name Jerry Brutsche ring a bell? He was her stunt doubl...
What are some tips for taking a good nap?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Some tips for a taking good nap: late afternoon is best, don't nap more than 40 minutes, and nap in ...
6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight
6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight
Here's a hint: your sleep position makes a big difference. Roughly 90 million American adults snore. It's often caused by the constriction of air flow...
Why Should I Avoid Using the Snooze Button on My Alarm Clock?