How can having a sleep routine help me sleep better?

Bedtime rituals can help you sleep better because they prepare you and your body to gently coast into a restful night's sleep. Watch me explain the "20/20/20" rule, and why winding down before bed is so important. 
Carol Ash, DO
Pulmonary Disease

You know that how much you sleep is important -- but so is the timing of your sleep. In this video, internist and sleep medicine expert Carol Ash, DO, discusses how sleep timing can affect your health.

John Preston, PsyD
Establish a regular, relaxing nighttime ritual. By doing the same calming ritual before going to bed every night, you signal to your body that you’re about to sleep. Meditate for ten minutes, read a relaxing book, do breathing or relaxation exercises, write in a gratitude journal or spend some relaxing time with a pet or partner. Do anything that calms you in preparation for a good night’s sleep.
Depression 101: A Practical Guide to Treatments, Self-Help Strategies, and Preventing Relapse

When you have depression, it can feel like there's no way out. To begin changing the way you feel, you'll need an arsenal of proven techniques for lifting your mood and preventing relapse. The...

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

When It’s Smart to Be in the Dark
When It’s Smart to Be in the Dark
Research has shown sleeping in a dimly lit—instead of dark—environment is associated with disruption of circadian rhythm (your internal body clock) an...
When should I exercise to help me sleep better?
If you are struggling with insomnia, it may be because of the timing of your activities during t...
Do power naps work?
Benefits of napping can include: relaxation, reduced fatigue, increased alertness, improved mood and...
Take the Sleep Chronotype Quiz
Take the Sleep Chronotype Quiz