How can I sleep better and lose weight?

To sleep better and lose weight, try these tips:

Lose the snooze and set your alarm to tell you when to go to bed. Use your alarm to help you know when to go bed to get the right amount of quality sleep. Don't use the snooze button to potentially interrupt those final minutes of REM sleep! Set your alarm in the morning for the last possible minute you need to be out of bed.

Take a quick nap if you are feeling drowsy in the middle of the day. Try my Nap-a-Latte™ technique: quickly drink a small cup of cool drip coffee, and then take a 25-minute nap. The Nap-a-Latte™ reduces your drowsiness and the caffeine will wake you up, but taken at the right time (no caffeine after 2 p.m.!) will not keep you awake at night.

Try my "glass for a glass method": Drink one glass of water for every alcoholic beverage you drink, and stop all alcohol 3 hours before your bedtime alarm goes off. Alcohol can help you fall asleep, but will keep you out of the deep stages of sleep and REM sleep that you need to avoid sleep deprivation.

Stop exercise 4 hours before bed. Work out earlier in the evening and consider Yoga, deep breathing or stretching before bed.

Have your breakfast outside in the morning, and get plenty of sunlight to help re-set your internal biological clock.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Get Caught Napping: Why Kids Need More Sleep
In 2016, when Cincinnati Reds’ pitcher Homer Bailey turned his back on home plate while the San Diego Padres’ Wil Myers lit off third based and stole ...
What should I include in a sleep diary?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
A sleep diary should include the time you got into bed, how long it took you to fall asleep, the qua...
Does Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find Out
Does Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find Out
I went to bed and woke up at the same time every day; extra energy was just one of the reasons it was awesome. I’ve always had problems getting up in ...
How Can Having a Sleep Routine Help Me Sleep Better?