How can I sleep better and lose weight?

To sleep better and lose weight, try these tips:

Lose the snooze and set your alarm to tell you when to go to bed. Use your alarm to help you know when to go bed to get the right amount of quality sleep. Don't use the snooze button to potentially interrupt those final minutes of REM sleep! Set your alarm in the morning for the last possible minute you need to be out of bed.

Take a quick nap if you are feeling drowsy in the middle of the day. Try my Nap-a-Latte™ technique: quickly drink a small cup of cool drip coffee, and then take a 25-minute nap. The Nap-a-Latte™ reduces your drowsiness and the caffeine will wake you up, but taken at the right time (no caffeine after 2 p.m.!) will not keep you awake at night.

Try my "glass for a glass method": Drink one glass of water for every alcoholic beverage you drink, and stop all alcohol 3 hours before your bedtime alarm goes off. Alcohol can help you fall asleep, but will keep you out of the deep stages of sleep and REM sleep that you need to avoid sleep deprivation.

Stop exercise 4 hours before bed. Work out earlier in the evening and consider Yoga, deep breathing or stretching before bed.

Have your breakfast outside in the morning, and get plenty of sunlight to help re-set your internal biological clock.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Turn on the Tunes to Beat Insomnia
Turn on the Tunes to Beat Insomnia
The original cradle song, “Wiegenlied: Guten Abend, Gute Nacht” (Lullaby: Good Evening, Good Night), was written by German composer Johannes Brahms in...
What changes can I make to my bedroom can help me sleep better?
Your bedroom could be sabotaging your quality of sleep without your knowing it. Your bed: Is it c...
How can I stop bad news in the media from disrupting my sleep?
Gail M. Saltz, MDGail M. Saltz, MD
Anxiety tends to produce the most worry at night, making it difficult to fall and stay asleep. In th...
The New Approach to Better Sleep
The New Approach to Better Sleep