How does sleep affect metabolism?

Do nothing and burn more calories? Seems too good to be true. But here's the way to make it so: Go to bed. A study revealed that people had significantly slower metabolisms the morning after a sleepless night.

Slow, Sleepy Metabolisms

In the study, male college students participated in two different sleep experiments. One group got a normal night's sleep -- about 8 hours -- while the other group stayed awake all night. And the morning after, researchers found that the metabolic rate of the all-nighters was about 20% lower during breakfast digestion. Not only that, but also the people who didn't get any sleep had higher blood sugar levels, higher stress hormones, and more hunger-triggering ghrelin in their systems. And, not surprisingly, they felt hungrier the morning after not sleeping.

Energy Influence

We know from other research that subpar sleep comes with a greater risk of weight gain. But this study offers insight into some possible reasons why, highlighting the way that sleep affects our metabolic rate -- the rate at which our bodies burn calories -- as well as a whole bunch of body systems linked to energy levels and hormones that can influence our eating habits.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

6 Ways You Can Turn Your Bedroom Into a Sleep Sanctuary
A good night's sleep can help you feel energized, lower your risk of obesity, improve concentration and so much more. And you probably know that windi...
How can having a sleep routine help me sleep better?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Bedtime rituals can help you sleep better because they prepare you and your body to gently coast int...
Do women have a harder time sleeping than men?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Women have a harder time sleeping than men for several reasons, including women's specific physiolog...
What Items Do I Need to Help Me Sleep More Soundly?