How should I prepare for sleep?

Following good sleep hygiene is very important if you have trouble falling asleep. Stay away from things like caffeine, nicotine and alcohol. Also, avoid napping during the day and vigorous exercise before bedtime, and try not to have a big meal before bedtime. Establishing a routine will help ensure a good night's sleep.
Much like the way you'd put candles on the table for a romantic dinner, or Luther Vandross on the stereo for a romantic night in, you need to set the mood for sleep. The perfect setup:
  • A cool, dark room. The lower temp and lack of light signals your body to knock you out for the count.
  • White noise. Drown out background noise with a fan or a machine that plays sounds of the ocean.
  • Appropriate attire. Sleepwear should be nonallergenic (both the fabric and what it's washed in) and nonrestricting so you'll feel more relaxed.
Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

What to Eat When You Cannot Sleep
What to Eat When You Cannot Sleep
One of the main casualties of our always-on, push-notified, binge-watching world is sleep. What’s worrisome is that we may not realize just how much o...
How does proper sleep help athletes perform better?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Studies of pro players in the National Football League and Major League Baseball found a link be...
How can I make it easier to sleep in my dorm room?
Here are some dorm room makeover tips: • If possible, strategically arrange the bedroom furniture ar...
Reap the Health Benefits of a Power Nap
Reap the Health Benefits of a Power Nap