How do I pick the right mattress?

While there's no one standard mattress that works for everyone, you have to pick what feels right for you (and try it out with your partner if you sleep with one). But you can't judge that in 30 seconds in a store. Tell the salesperson to back off and give you fifteen minutes to get the feel for a mattress before you pick it. Judge it for comfort, support, and heat (you don't want heat dissipated too quickly, but a mattress pad may help).

One good option: a memory foam mattress, which bounces back to the original flat plane after you get out of bed, rather than forming an indentation. They can be costly (up to $2,500). Instead, you can take a standard mattress and flip it every couple months to avoid body indentations that will disrupt your sleep. And get a 1-micron cover that blocks allergens from floating from the pillow or mattress to your nose and body.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Do Early Birds Live Longer Than Night Owls?
Q: I hear people who are night owls aren’t as healthy as morning people. My mom rarely went to sleep before 1AM and died at the age of 65, and I have ...
Why are my teenager's sleeping habits changing?
During the teenage years, the sleep cycle changes from getting sleepy around 8 to 9 p.m. to between ...
6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight
6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight
Here's a hint: your sleep position makes a big difference. Roughly 90 million American adults snore. It's often caused by the constriction of air flow...
How Can Lack of Sleep Contribute to Heart Disease?