How can I use a mantra to help me fall asleep?

A mantra is a form of meditation that consists of the repetition of a word or a phrase. The practice of repeating certain words or phrases over and over in your mind counteracts thoughts that produce anxiety. Try this exercise if it is difficult to quiet your mind before bedtime. You can choose a neutral word with no particular significance or a word with pleasant connotations, such as peace, love, or joy.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

The Problem with Sleeping Pills for the Elderly
You may remember the comedienne, Irene Ryan as Granny in the Beverly Hillbillies, but does the name Jerry Brutsche ring a bell? He was her stunt doubl...
What are some sleeping tips for mothers?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Far too often, moms find themselves doing last-minute chores and tasks long after the day should hav...
Does Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find Out
Does Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find Out
I went to bed and woke up at the same time every day; extra energy was just one of the reasons it was awesome. I’ve always had problems getting up in ...
How Important Is Sleep to the Brain?
How Important Is Sleep to the Brain?