How can I get a good night's sleep without medication?

To get a good night's sleep without the help of medication, work on developing good sleep habits. Try to keep a regular sleep schedule by going to bed and waking at the same time each night and morning. Exercise every day (but not too close to bedtime) and avoid napping. Avoid stimulants like nicotine or caffeine, as well as alcohol. You should also avoid large meals close to bedtime. Do not watch TV, use your computer or phone, read or do work in the bedroom. You can also try meditating before bed as well.
There may be circumstances that warrant prescription sleeping medication, and you should discuss your options with your primary care physician. But I always encourage my patients to explore natural remedies before turning to prescription sleep meds. Regular exercise, early-in-the-day exposure to sunlight, a regular bedtime -- these are the components of good sleep hygiene, and they should always be the first route toward a good night’s sleep.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Don’t Let Light Pollution Keep You Up at Night
Chances are you’ve spent more than one night tossing and turning—up to 70 million U.S. adults have a sleep disorder. But what can help you sleep bette...
Do people sleep better alone or with a partner?
Nothing like a bit of quiet and solitude when you need some deep sleep. Most people claim to sleep b...
Is there a certain number of sleep hours that will benefit my skin?
There is general agreement among scientists that getting adequate sleep is essential for overall...
Walk This Morning to Sleep Better Tonight