How can pets disrupt my sleep?

If you’re still scratching your head wondering why you’re not feeling as refreshed as you should in the morning, you may have overlooked a little furry sleep thief: your pet.

I get asked about pets in the bedroom pretty frequently, and it can be a hard to hear that pets in the bedroom can be problematic for sleep. Pets are like family members, and we don’t like to exclude them from snuggling with us when they show so much affection and beg to be with us at night. But they can be a major cause of poor and disrupted sleep.

Studies have demonstrated that a reasonable percentage of pet owners who allow their pets in bed have sleep problems.

For starters, cats are nocturnal by nature. They typically won’t snooze with you for 7 or 8 hours straight. Dogs aren’t quite so nocturnal, but because of their size, every time they move or begin to scratch and groom themselves they can wake the soundest sleeper. They can also snore as badly as a human -- ever listen to an old English bulldog?

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

The Problem with Sleeping Pills for the Elderly
You may remember the comedienne, Irene Ryan as Granny in the Beverly Hillbillies, but does the name Jerry Brutsche ring a bell? He was her stunt doubl...
What are some foods that can help me sleep better?
Trip up your wakefulness and doze off with these handy bedtime snacks (stay within 200 calories and ...
6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight
6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight6 Simple Tricks to Help You Stop Snoring Tonight
Here's a hint: your sleep position makes a big difference. Roughly 90 million American adults snore. It's often caused by the constriction of air flow...
What Can I Do If My Bed Partner and I Don't Agree on Room Temperature?