How do I get back to sleep after getting up in the middle of the night?

Watch as Dr. Michael Breus provides tips on how to get back to sleep after getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.

More often than not, we are awakened at least once a night. We can't keep ourselves from waking, but we can help ourselves to go back to sleep with these tips:
  • Keep a notebook and pen on your bedside table. Begin writing to-dos and reminders an hour before bed so that you aren't compiling a mental list for the next day. If you awake suddenly remembering an important task, write it down rather than trying to commit it to memory.
  • Try counting backwards from 300 by threes. Simple math can keep our thoughts from wondering and yet isn't so difficult that it will frustrate you.
  • If you're still awake after 15 minutes, get up and do something quiet, like reading a book. You have to let your body and mind slow down to be able to slip into sleep, so that means quiet activities only.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Sleep Problems Are Not Inevitable as You Age
“To sleep, perchance to dream,” from Hamlet, is an elusive wish for a lot who are 65 and older. In fact, almost half of Americans over the age of 65 s...
How should I sleep to avoid aches and pains?
Don't you hate it when you sleep wrong and all of a sudden getting out of bed is a struggle? So befo...
How does the body regulate sleep?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
You have an internal clock lodged deep within the brain that regulates your sleep -- the pineal ...
What Can I Do if My Bed Partner Is a Night Owl, but I Am an Early Bird?