Healthy Sleeping

Does drinking wine before bed help with sleep?

• A , Internal Medicine, answered
    When you're looking for ways to get to sleep, a little wine before bed sounds like a great idea, but for most of us, it backfires. While alcohol is sedating at first, which helps with falling asleep, later in the night it tends to do a 180 and wake you up; in extreme cases, 20 times! Instead of feeling energized and refreshed the next morning, you're bleary-eyed and tired. Alcohol also seems to mess up your most restorative sleep.

Timing counts. For most people, allowing an hour or two between a drink and bedtime avoids problems. Unlucky ones need a six-hour gap.

• A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    2 053 03-1 best worst ways get good sleep
    Drinking a glass of wine or other alcohol, will disrupt sleep. Learn more about this in this video with Dr. Oz.

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
How can I help my child get a good night's sleep?