Do power naps work?

Benefits of napping can include: relaxation, reduced fatigue, increased alertness, improved mood and improved performance, including quicker reaction time, better memory, less confusion and fewer accidents and mistakes.
Yes. By taking a brief fifteen to thirty minute nap you reduce the body’s sleep pressure or drive. It is similar to hunger: if you eat a small amount you will become less hungry, and if you sleep for a short period of time, you will become less sleepy. However, you should be careful and try not to sleep for much longer than thirty minutes as you may go into deep sleep and it is very difficult to awaken from deep sleep. Many of my patients will tell me that if they nap too long they actually feel worse than they did before the nap.

Research shows that a midday nap of 30 to 60 minutes can improve the ability to learn a new motor skill and can reverse information overload.

These 30-minute naps seem to prevent on-the-job burnout, while an hour-long snooze can actually boost performance back to early morning levels.

Theoretically, during sleep the brain is able to store information it has gathered into memory. Taking a nap at midday allows to file everything we've gathered to that point and to wake up with empty storage space.

Picture of sleeping teenager

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

When It’s Smart to Be in the Dark
When It’s Smart to Be in the Dark
Research has shown sleeping in a dimly lit—instead of dark—environment is associated with disruption of circadian rhythm (your internal body clock) an...
What type of pillows and bedding should I use?
A good night's sleep is critical for your health and happiness. In this video, designer Nate Berkus ...
How can having a sleep routine help me sleep better?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Bedtime rituals can help you sleep better because they prepare you and your body to gently coast int...
How Does Caffeine Affect My Sleep?
How Does Caffeine Affect My Sleep?