How should I deal with fatigue after surgery?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
After your surgery follow the surgeon's post-operative instructions carefully. In my practice, our patients stay well hydrated, have bedrest with intermittent ambulation to prevent deep venous thrombosis, no heavy lifting, and soft diet for 48 hours. Only take pain medications and sedatives when necessary. Always have someone with you for assistance for in case of emergency.
Intermountain Healthcare
Administration
Any surgery will leave you feeling tired. Your body is healing. Try these tips to help speed the process:

• Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep each night. Rest throughout the day.
• Eat well balanced, healthy meals.
• Tell your family what they can do to help you get the rest you need.
• Call your doctor if you become more tired (rather than less) each day, or
  if you’re dizzy for more than a few seconds at a time.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Healthy Sleeping

Healthy Sleeping

Healthy sleep isn't just about getting enough sleep; getting the right kind counts, too. While you sleep your brain stays active, and it actually takes several stages of sleep to make you feel well and refreshed. Just how much sle...

ep we need changes as we age, from 16 to 18 hours a day for newborns to 7 to 8 hours a night for adults. If you find yourself feeling tired or fatigued during the day even after a full night in bed, you may have a sleep disorder. See your family doctor or a sleep specialist for help.