How can cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) help me sleep better?

Here's how cognitive behavioral therapy can help you sleep:

• The cognitive portion of CBT is about recognizing, challenging, and changing the ways of thinking that keep you from falling asleep.

• If you can’t get to sleep easily at night and find yourself tossing and turning while awash in irritating thoughts, chances are you’re fueling your own fire with a distorted, stress-inducing behavior. CBT solution: challenge these thoughts, with the help of a sleep psychologist, as they may be distorted or inaccurate.

• The behavior portion is about sleep hygiene--the ways in which you prepare yourself for sleep. Go to bed at the perfect time for your body so you’re ready to fall asleep within 20 to 30 minutes.

Studies have shown that cognitive behavior therapy can, in fact, beat sleeping pills. This proves just how powerful thoughts can be, and that getting restful sleep is often more about how you teach your mind to think than using any external trick such as a drug or other sleep aid.
One of the most effective sleep therapies is cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), a type of psychotherapy based on the idea that a person's thoughts and beliefs directly impact how they behave.

When you see a therapist who uses CBT, he or she will help you recognize and change the ways of thinking that are interfering with your sleep and help you determine the perfect time for you to go to bed so you can fall asleep in 20 or 30 minutes. Studies have shown that CBT is more effective than sleeping pills.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Can You Make Up for Lost Sleep on the Weekends?
In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry’s godfather Sirius Black is about to suffer a fate worse than death for a crime he didn’t commit, a...
How can I make it easier to sleep in my dorm room?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Here are some dorm room makeover tips: • If possible, strategically arrange the bedroom furniture ar...
Does Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find Out
Does Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find Out
I went to bed and woke up at the same time every day; extra energy was just one of the reasons it was awesome. I’ve always had problems getting up in ...
How to Get a Child to Sleep in His Own Bed