How can adults be rocked to sleep?

There's a device that is designed to simulate the gentle, soporific swaying sensation that seems to be the key factor in lulling babies (and adults) to sleep. And this can be achieved without the need for an actual bedroom swing to accommodate an adult (or asking your partner to do something impossible!).

It’s about the size of an MP3 player and is connected to the mastoid bone behind the ear using a sensor cable, which sends electric pulses into the vestibular system. This stimulates the balance centers in our middle ear to create a gentle swaying or rocking sensation. If it sounds too good to be true, or if you’re already feeling sick at the thought of being artificially rocked to sleep as if lying on a sailboat, listen up.

The device was researched and developed in Australia by Philips Home Healthcare Solutions, and according to tests performed in sleep labs throughout Sydney and Melbourne, it was found to decrease 67% of severe to moderate insomniacs down to a level of no clinical significance.

That’s huge. That means the cure for some insomniacs may be just a drug-free device away rather than another pill or strong-willed attempt at bedtime meditation.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Can You Make Up for Lost Sleep on the Weekends?
In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry’s godfather Sirius Black is about to suffer a fate worse than death for a crime he didn’t commit, a...
Can watching TV before bedtime help me wind down?
Watching TV to wind down before bed might not work. The flickering electronic light from a TV or com...
How can I use a mantra to help me fall asleep?
A mantra is a form of meditation that consists of the repetition of a word or a phrase. The prac...
Can Having a Alcoholic Drink Before Bed Help Me Sleep Better?