Why do adults need a bedtime?

Here is my Deadly Habit number 7:

Not Having a Bedtime

Kids have to be in bed at 8, but adults fill their evenings with TV, to-do lists, chores, and more, falling into bed at a different (and later) time each night. That irregularity not only means fewer hours of sleep, but a lesser quality of sleep, both of which are causes of weight gain and disease.

Replacement: Planning a Bedtime

All of us need 7 and a half hours of sleep nightly to maintain good health, but sleeping well comes easy to few of us. It actually takes practice and routine, and it's one of the most important things you can do for yourself. Count back 7 hours from when you wake up and make that your bedtime.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

What to Eat When You Cannot Sleep
What to Eat When You Cannot Sleep
One of the main casualties of our always-on, push-notified, binge-watching world is sleep. What’s worrisome is that we may not realize just how much o...
What can I do to make sure I get enough sleep to function properly?
While the amount of sleep necessary for proper functioning varies for each individual, most people s...
What are some foods that can help me sleep better?
Trip up your wakefulness and doze off with these handy bedtime snacks (stay within 200 calories and ...
I Wake up Each Morning with a Stiff Neck; What Can I Do?