Why do adults need a bedtime?

Here is my Deadly Habit number 7:

Not Having a Bedtime

Kids have to be in bed at 8, but adults fill their evenings with TV, to-do lists, chores, and more, falling into bed at a different (and later) time each night. That irregularity not only means fewer hours of sleep, but a lesser quality of sleep, both of which are causes of weight gain and disease.

Replacement: Planning a Bedtime

All of us need 7 and a half hours of sleep nightly to maintain good health, but sleeping well comes easy to few of us. It actually takes practice and routine, and it's one of the most important things you can do for yourself. Count back 7 hours from when you wake up and make that your bedtime.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Study Confirms Dangerous Side Effects of Oversleeping
At the beginning of the 1999 comedy Office Space, corporate tech worker Peter’s hypnotherapist dies in the middle of his session, leaving him in a tra...
What foods can prevent me from getting a good night’s sleep?
At some point or another, it happens to everyone: You can't sleep. When you finally drop off, the al...
Can a lack of adequate sleep harm my health?
Definitely. Studies have shown that poor sleep increases stress during the day. Sleep usually consis...
Is Eating Before Going to Bed Bad for Me?