What happens to collagen and elastin in my skin when I smoke?

Cigarette smoke causes the delicate blood vessels that deliver blood to the skin to constrict, which deprives skin cells of essential nutrients and oxygen. Smoke also destroys collagen and elastin, both of which connect skin cells and make them pliable and elastic.

Continue Learning about Healthy Skin

Fresh Fruit, Fresh Complexion
Fresh Fruit, Fresh Complexion
You really can fight wrinkles from the inside out. And there's a fruit that can lead the charge. It's papaya. What makes papaya so perfect? Easy. Vit...
What foods are nutritious for my skin?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Most of the information about nutrition for the skin centers on eating nourishing fruits, vegetables...
6 Foods Your Skin Will Love
6 Foods Your Skin Will Love6 Foods Your Skin Will Love6 Foods Your Skin Will Love6 Foods Your Skin Will Love
Fill your plate with nutrient-rich foods for younger-looking, glowing skin. What's the best advice for healthy, beautiful, young-looking skin? Eat up!...
What Foods Keep Skin Healthy?
What Foods Keep Skin Healthy?