What are the major layers of skin on the human body?

The skin is the body's largest organ. It's composed of three main layers - the subcutaneous, the dermis and the epidermis. The latter is the outermost layer. The most outermost section of the epidermis is known as the Stratum Corneum or skin barrier. The Stratum Corneum is a tissue-thin layer that protects us from the outside world.

Continue Learning about Healthy Skin

A Virtual Journey Through the Skin
A Virtual Journey Through the Skin
In this video, dermatologist Doris Day shares an up close look at the skin. Learn how the different layers of the skin function and what the skin reve...
Why do facial bones become more visible with age?
As you age, your skin becomes thinner and more transparent. Also, your skin can lose some if its nat...
6 Foods Your Skin Will Love
6 Foods Your Skin Will Love6 Foods Your Skin Will Love6 Foods Your Skin Will Love6 Foods Your Skin Will Love
Fill your plate with nutrient-rich foods for younger-looking, glowing skin. What's the best advice for healthy, beautiful, young-looking skin? Eat up!...
How Should I Take Care of My Oily Skin?
How Should I Take Care of My Oily Skin?