How does the epidermis renew itself?

Skin renews itself through a complex process that repeats every 14 days. Cells start to form in the lower layer of the skin, called the dermis, and migrate upwards to form the outermost layer, or the epidermis. The cells change and mature throughout this process, ultimately ending up as a compact, tight layer that is interwoven with lipids, to keep skin's natural moisture barrier intact.

Continue Learning about Healthy Skin

Green Superfoods for Healthier Skin
Green Superfoods for Healthier Skin
Ever had a sinister little bump or growth removed from your skin? Eating these might help keep that spot from coming back: leafy greens. In people wi...
How can I get rid of the cellulite on my thighs?
It doesn't matter if you're slim or carrying a few extra pounds -- if you're female, you've prob...
6 Foods Your Skin Will Love
6 Foods Your Skin Will Love6 Foods Your Skin Will Love6 Foods Your Skin Will Love6 Foods Your Skin Will Love
Fill your plate with nutrient-rich foods for younger-looking, glowing skin. What's the best advice for healthy, beautiful, young-looking skin? Eat up!...
Lisa Oz - Healthy Skin
Lisa Oz - Healthy Skin