What are some foods that are important for healthy skin?

Here are some foods that are important for healthy skin:
  • Kiwi: Kiwi provides tons of vitamin C. Vitamin C produces elastin and collagen, which give skin its elasticity. Collagen breaks down as people get older and causes wrinkles. Vitamin C counteracts this process.
  • Salmon: Salmon -- and other fatty fish such as mackerel, tuna and trout -- will improve the overall condition and appearance of skin. That's all thanks to its array of nutrients.
  • Watermelon: This fruit, which is synonymous with summer, is loaded with water to hydrate skin. Plus it boasts vitamin C, which helps the skin's elasticity, and antioxidants that prevent signs of aging.
  • Yellow pepper: Want to fight wrinkles? Then eat vitamin C-rich peppers. They also contain vitamin E (which helps repair damaged skin), vitamin A (which keeps skin moist) and carotenoids (which decrease the skin's sensitivity to the sun).
  • Tomatoes: To protect your skin against sun damage, chomp on some tomatoes. They provide the bright red pigment that is naturally found in the skin, called lycopene. Lycopene, which is found in higher levels in cooked, processed tomatoes, protects against the sun's harmful ultraviolet radiation.
  • Oysters: Eat oysters to help wounds heal and prevent scarring. Oysters contain the important trace metal zinc, which promotes wound healing. Oysters can help prevent wounds from breaking down and keeps skin strong during healing. You can also get zinc from nuts, lobster, beans and crab.
  • Berries: Berries like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries offer antioxidants, which help protect the skin from the sun's damaging effects. Eating these foods also may help prevent signs of aging skin, like dryness and wrinkles.
  • Cucumber: Beauty buffs know that cucumbers can be applied to the face to help relieve puffiness under the eyes. Eating them is beneficial, too. They help hydrate the skin because they're made mostly of water.
  • Pineapple: The tropical fruit contains bromelain, which is thought to fight inflammation. Lessening inflammation can improve skin's appearance and may relieve suffering from sunburn.
  • Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits like grapefruits, lemons, limes and oranges boast nutrients like vitamin C that help keep skin youthful looking.
This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Healthy Skin

Eat Papayas for Younger-Looking Skin
Eat Papayas for Younger-Looking Skin
Tips to Manage Your Child's Eczema
Tips to Manage Your Child's Eczema
What Foods Keep Skin Healthy?
What Foods Keep Skin Healthy?
How Should I Take Care of My Oily Skin?
How Should I Take Care of My Oily Skin?