Q

Recipes for Healthy Cooking

What is a healthy oatmeal breakfast recipe?

• A , Integrative Medicine, answered
    Pumpkin maple oatmeal with berries is a nutritious treat. Cook 1/2 cup of quick or old-fashioned oats according to the directions. Add 2 tablespoons of 100% pure pumpkin, 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and 1⁄2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries or blueberries. This makes 1 serving and has 198 calories and 3 grams of fat.
    8 people found this helpful.
  • A answered

Make that bowl of oatmeal a true breakfast of champions. Follow your usual recipe using skim milk or a healthy non-dairy milk. Then mix in:

• 2 heaping tablespoons of Greek lowfat yogurt – Adds protein, calcium, probiotics
    • 2 tsp. of pomegranate seeds – Adds fiber, vitamin A, C and K
    • ½ tsp dried chia seeds – Adds calcium, phosphorous, fiber and manganese
    • 1 tsp dark chocolate mini chips – Adds anti-oxidants and a bit of sweetness

The combination of healthy grain, protein, vitamins and antioxidants will keep you satisfied till lunchtime. And speaking of lunch, swap out plain iceberg lettuce for Swiss chard, kale or spinach. These darker greens are rich in vitamin K which can help to lower your risk of diabetes.

2 people found this helpful.
  • A Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of

Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day and oatmeal is a great choice. One of my favorite healthy oatmeal recipes is an overnight oats recipe that is a great "to go" recipe for those on the run. 

Overnight Oats

• 1/3 c. raw oats
    • 1/3 c. non-fat plain Greek yogurt
    • 2/3 c. milk (I prefer almond, soy or coconut milk)
    • 1 tsp. chia seeds
    • 1 tsp. flax seed meal
    • dash of cinnamon
    • tsp. agave nectar or honey (adjust to taste)

Mix all ingredients together and put in the fridge overnight (mason jars or empty peanut butter jars work well). In the morning you can add your favorite toppings and take your oatmeal to go or eat in the comfort of your own home. My favorite is a peanut butter banana version. I love to add a tbsp. of PB2 (peanut butter powder without the fat), 1/2 a banana sliced thin, a little natural peanut butter on top, and a drizzle of agave nectar. You can also add canned pumpkin and spices for a pumpkin pie version. If you like your oats thicker reduce the amount of milk and vice versa. Play around with the toppings and ingredients until your find your favorite version. Enjoy!

4 people found this helpful.

This is a favorite oatmeal breakfast recipe that is equivalent to 1 carbohydrate choice or 15 grams of carbohydrate and no fat. Ingredients: ¼ cup of oats; ½ cup water; a dash of cinnamon and a dash of sugar substitute. Combine oats and water in a microwave safe cereal bowl, heat for 2 minutes and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar substitute. To have more than 1 serving of carbohydrate, simply double the oats and water quantity. Oatmeal also tastes great when you add sliced apples, sliced peaches, or berries.

6 people found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What is a healthy chicken dinner recipe?