What is a good replacement for salt in recipes?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

I agree with my colleagues that both fresh and dried herbs are delicious replacements for salt, but you absolutely must read the label on your dried herb containers. There are some products, such as "lemon pepper," or various herbal "powders," that actually do contain salt.

Rebekah Pizana
For savory foods, a great salt replacement is cayenne or white pepper. A few other ways to replace salt in a recipe (this works great for chicken dishes): mix up some extra garlic, lemon zest or juice, thyme, paprika, and onion. The spiciness adds enough flavor so the salt is hardly missed. Another favorite of mine is fresh basil. Mix up some tomatoes, olive oil and chopped fresh basil for a nice appetizer or light salad. With the acidity from the tomatoes, the flavor from the olive oil and the zesty basil, you won't even notice the missing salt.

In desserts or baked goods, I would recommend replacing salt with citrus, apple juice (or apple pulp), or apple cider vinegar.
Vandana  R. Sheth
Fresh or dried herbs, spices and citrus juices are all good replacements for salt in recipes.

Continue Learning about Recipes for Healthy Cooking

Baked or Grilled Onion Recipe
Baked or Grilled Onion Recipe
Push those French fries aside! This flavor-filled recipe not only tastes great, but it's low in calories and delivers flavanoids to help your body fig...
What is a recipe for a low-carb appetizer?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
With this recipe for Chorizo & Corn Stuffed Mushrooms, chef Michel Nischan tweaks a classic appetize...
6 One-Pan Recipes You Can Make in Your Iron Skillet
6 One-Pan Recipes You Can Make in Your Iron Skillet6 One-Pan Recipes You Can Make in Your Iron Skillet6 One-Pan Recipes You Can Make in Your Iron Skillet6 One-Pan Recipes You Can Make in Your Iron Skillet
This versatile piece of cookware can help you create flavorful meals and provide added health benefits. It's time to make use of the cast iron skillet...
How Can I Make a Healthy Chocolate Dessert?