Why should I brush and floss my teeth?

Brushing cleans your teeth so you look better and feel better about yourself. If you don't brush you will get bad breath and your teeth will look nasty. Your teeth are the second thing that people look at when they talk to you (eyes are first), and if they look bad then you cannot make a good impression. Keeping your teeth clean with good brushing habits is the least you can do to help yourself look and feel good. There are also a lot of other technical reasons that relate to your health and the cost of maintaining or restoring your body to good health, but the essence of "why I should brush" is the reality that you will not look good, feel good, or smell good if you don't do it -- no exceptions! Fortunately, brushing feels good and only takes two minutes, so the real question is: Why in the world would anybody NOT brush their teeth? You would be crazy NOT to brush your teeth. When you see somebody who does not brush their teeth (you will also smell them) you should feel sorry for them because they most likely have problems that will need more help than they can get from a dentist.
Brushing and flossing removes plaque and food particles from your teeth. Plaque are bacteria in your mouth that can cause tooth decay and gum disease. Removing plaque by brushing and flossing reduces your risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
It's much bigger than preventing cavities and gum disease. Your real motivation for flossing and brushing should be the same as your motivation for eating well, seeing the doctor for regular check-ups, or putting on your seatbelt in the car. Prevention is the best medicine in dentistry, and flossing and brushing together are one of the best and easiest investments you can make for your overall health and longevity. I rank them up there with excercise and healthy diet.

The mouth is a unique part of the body, and because of its exclusive function, can easily become inflamed. This inflammation can become chronic and affect the rest of the body. Floss and brush because you want overall good health.
Carol Jahn
Dentist
Daily brushing and flossing remove plaque, and this is crucial to maintaining good oral health. Plaque contains bacteria and bacteria cause both gum disease and tooth decay. When brushing, use a toothpaste with fluoride as fluoride strengthens teeth and helps prevent decay. If you find flossing difficult, there are other clinical proven alternatives that work as well including floss holders, toothpicks, interdental brushes and a water flosser. Find a product you like and use it every day! Your mouth will healthier, your breath fresher, and your chance of keeping your teeth for a lifetime -- excellent.
Brushing with a fluoride containing toothpaste and flossing your teeth is the most effective way to prevent both tooth decay and gum disease.
It is important to remove plaque regularly by brushing your teeth twice daily and cleaning between your teeth with floss or another interdental cleaner once a day. If plaque builds up, it can cause swelling and bleeding of the gingival (gum) tissue. Eventually, the hard and soft tissues that hold your teeth in place can be damaged, and you run the risk of losing teeth.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
How can I avoid teeth stains?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
There are some foods you can avoid to help reduce tooth stain. These include foods with dark pigment...
What is a powered toothbrush?
A powered toothbrush is one where the brush creates spinning or circular motion through batter or el...
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth