What products are best to use for good dental health?

Dental health is best maintained with just a few products that are reasonably simple to use.
  • Toothbrush -- manual standard toothbrush with rounded nylon bristles, or an automatic rechargeable brush, such as the type with circular brush similar that used in the dental office.
  • Dental Floss
  • Other interproximal cleaning devices, such as Soft Picks by GUM 
  • Mouthwash similar to Listerine can be helpful
  • Additional products, as indicated that may be recommended by your dentist or hygienist.
Instructions and additional information can be found on the American Dental Association website.
Carol Jahn
Dentist
Your dental hygienist is a great resource to help you choose the right oral care products for you. There are many different types of manual and power toothbrushes available. Generally, power brushes can remove more plaque than manual ones. Everyone needs to clean between their teeth, but less than 30% of people do, and even less are able to do it at level to achieve good oral health. There is no need to struggle with floss; many other products work as well and are easier to use. These include soft picks, floss holders, toothpicks, interproximal brushes and a Water Flosser.
Peggy Rosen
Dentist

Best products to use for good dental health are:

1. Water irrigation
  2. Electric toothbrush with soft bristle
  3. Unwaxed dental floss
  4. Interdental brushes
The best products to use for good dental health include a toothbrush with soft or extra-soft bristles, toothpaste that contains fluoride, and dental floss. There are several types of floss, including waxed and unwaxed, flavored and unflavored, ribbon, and thread. Choose the type that works best for you. In addition, ask your dentist whether you should use a mouthwash or mouth rinse to support your dental health.
Talk to your dentist about what types of oral care products will be most effective for you. People's needs may differ, and your dentist is as concerned as you are about choosing products that will help you maintain good oral hygiene at home between dental visits.

Choose products that bear the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal of Acceptance. The ADA Seal on a product is your assurance that it has met ADA criteria for safety and effectiveness. Look for the ADA Seal on fluoride toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, interdental cleaners, oral irrigators, and mouth rinse.

Other tips to make shopping for dental products less confusing:
  • Choose a fluoride toothpaste that displays the ADA Seal of Acceptance. Fluoride helps keep tooth enamel strong and can aid in remineralizing (repairing) microscopic decay. If you have sensitive teeth, your dentist may suggest using special toothpaste.
  • Select a toothbrush that feels comfortable in your hand and in your mouth, and use it twice a day. All ADA-accepted toothbrushes -- manual or powered -- earned the ADA Seal because they can remove plaque above the gumline and reduce gingivitis. For children, choose a child-sized toothbrush for ease of use.
  • Replace your toothbrush every three or four months, or sooner if the bristles become frayed. A worn toothbrush will not do a good job of cleaning your teeth. Children's toothbrushes often need replacing more frequently than adults because they can wear out sooner.
  • Persons with physical difficulties or manual dexterity limitations may find a powered toothbrush easier to use and more effective for them than a manual toothbrush.
  • Oral irrigating devices use a stream of water to remove food particles around the teeth. They can be helpful for persons wearing braces or fixed or partial dentures. However, an oral irrigator is meant to enhance, not replace, regular brushing and flossing.
  • Mouthrinses can be either therapeutic or cosmetic. Therapeutic mouthrinses include those with fluoride (which helps prevent tooth decay) and those with antimicrobial agents (which can help reduce plaque and gingivitis). Cosmetic mouthrinses are those that freshen breath by: 1) masking the odor; 2) actually reducing the bacteria that produce bad breath; or 3) neutralizing the odors they produce. If you find that you are constantly using a breath freshener for bad breath, see your dentist. In some cases, bad breath may be a sign of poor health.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
What type of toothpaste or mouthwash should I use?
Stephen M. Koral, DMDStephen M. Koral, DMD
Ditto to my colleagues Curatolo, Fiss and Rosen! One thing that is hard to remember among the noi...
How can I take better care of my teeth?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
The best way to take better care of your teeth is partner with your dentist and dental hygienist. Th...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?