What are oral plaque-disclosing tablets?

Plaque-disclosing tablets, sold over the counter, are used after brushing and flossing. They produce a red stain that clings to plaque, a thin film of bacteria that forms constantly on the teeth and gums. (Plaque that is not removed regularly can harden into rough porous deposits called calculus, or tartar. Once the hardened tartar forms, it can be removed only when the teeth are cleaned in the dental office.) The disclosing tablet's red stain, which is brushed away easily, is produced by harmless food coloring and indicates where plaque was not removed entirely.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
How do I clean my teeth if I have braces?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Good oral hygiene is especially important when braces are present. Brushing regularly, as direct...
How often should I have my teeth cleaned?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
You should get a professional cleaning from your hygienist two to three times a year, more often...
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth