What is tongue cleaning?

Your tongue can be a giant trap for plaque and bacteria! Use a tongue scraper and a tooth brush to clean your tongue gently. Smokers, especially, develop discolored and overgrown papillae on their tongues. Healthy tissue becomes obscured by deposits of stain and bacteria. We especially recommend thorough tongue cleaning at least once a day. 

Cleaning your tongue removes any excess plaque and odor causing bacteria. This can help prevent bad breath, as well. You can do this by brushing your tongue when brushing your teeth or using a tongue scraper. Although there's no strong evidence that tongue scrapers are any more effective than regular brushing of the teeth and tongue, it may help curb bad breath.

Good oral hygiene and regular dentist visits are essential to a healthy mouth.
Tongue cleaning is pretty straight forward. A film of plaque bacteria, similar to the film that develops on your teeth between brushing, can develop on your tongue. In fact, 80% of the bacteria in the mouth are on the tongue. These bacteria are the primary cause of bad breath. While a toothbrush can be effective at removing a certain amount of plaque from your tongue, many people dislike doing so because it makes them gag. Tongue scrapers are much more effective. These devices come in many different shapes and sizes, but they all serve the same purpose -- to literally scrape away plaque and bacteria that accumulate on your tongue in between brushing. Regular tongue cleaning could help you control bacteria build up on the tongue and avoid bad breath.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
How can I avoid teeth stains?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
There are some foods you can avoid to help reduce tooth stain. These include foods with dark pigment...
How can I prevent my teeth from falling out?
The best way to prevent your teeth from falling out is to practice good oral hygiene and schedule re...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?