What are interdental picks?

Interdental cleaning aids are another way to remove plaque from between the teeth. These products include special picks or sticks to get between and around teeth. People who have trouble handling dental floss may find it easier to use interdental cleaners.
Interdental tools are tiny brushes or soft picks that slip into spaces between teeth along the gumline to remove plaque. And they really do the job. In fact, a Swedish study involving 1,000 dentists and dental hygienists and their patients revealed that interdental tools removed 83% of plaque compared with just 73% for dental floss.
Interdental picks are special wooden or plastic sticks that are used to clean between the teeth. They are an alternative to dental floss for people with large spaces between their teeth. They may also be used by people with braces or missing teeth, or by those who have had gum surgery.
Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
A fancier version of a toothpick, interdental picks are made with either balsa wood or plastic to help mechanically remove plaque and food from between teeth. While it's great to want to get the plaque and food out of there, be sure to go easy on the area. Too much pushing and shoving could alter the shape of the line of the soft tissue, which could bring about black triangle disease.
Smile!: The Ultimate Guide to Achieving Smile Beauty

Renowned dentist and creator of the GoSMILE product line Dr. Levine offers this complete guide to getting a whiter, brighter smile. 15 photos & illustrations.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
What is a manual toothbrush?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A manual toothbrush is one where you move the toothbrush. You should use your arm and hard to create...
How does stress affect oral health?
Stephen J. Black, DMDStephen J. Black, DMD
Stress in our culture is so underestimated as a source of health problems and oral health is no exce...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?