What do antimicrobial mouthwash and toothpaste do?

Antimicrobial mouth rinses and toothpastes fight microbes, or germs. Specifically, they reduce the number of bacteria in your mouth and in plaque, the sticky film that can build up on teeth. These products can help reduce plaque and fight gum disease. Toothbrushing (with flossing) removes plaque, and mouthwash helps by reaching areas hard to get with a toothbrush. Antibacterial varieties have the added benefit of killing the germs that may remain.

Antimicrobial mouth rinses and toothpastes reduce the bacterial count and stop bacterial activity in dental plaque, which can cause gingivitis, an early, reversible form of periodontal (gum) disease. American Dental Association (ADA)-accepted antimicrobial mouth rinses and toothpastes have substantiated these claims by demonstrating significant reductions in plaque and gingivitis. Fluoride mouth rinses help reduce and prevent tooth decay.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
How can I prevent teeth discoloration?
Taking care of your teeth is the most important thing you can do to keep them from becoming disc...
What is a self-examination for dental plaque?
Gerald P. Curatola, DDSGerald P. Curatola, DDS
Dental plaque is an "unhealthy expression" of the oral biofilm that is an essential and protective b...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?