Why should I see my dentist every six months?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
For most people, visiting the dentist twice a year is recommended. In this video, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains that depending on your health, some people may need to go to the dentist more often.

While some people consider dentist visits as optional as a side of mayo, you do need to see a dentist every six months (or every four, if you have gum issues). it's especially important if you have a family history of gingivitis. Why? Because no matter how much you brush, or if you floss with the speed of an expert fiddler, you simply can't dig up and obliterate all the gum-destroying plaque that's deposited between your teeth and near your gums. Dental hygienists have those fun ultrasonic thingies and lovely hooks that do this well. Plus, early detection of gingivitis will make it easier to treat.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
How can I freshen my breath after eating garlic?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Eating garlic, and other pungent foods, can lead to bad breath. Some ways to eliminate the odor incl...
How often should tongue cleaning be performed?
The ADA recommends brushing your teeth twice daily for two minutes each. During this process, you sh...
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth