How can I prevent plaque and tartar?

Plaque is the biofilm that develops on the teeth and when it hardens this plaque can form tartar. The mainstay of prevention includes daily flossing, brushing twice daily, avoiding tobacco and eating a healthy diet. Regular dental evaluations and cleanings through the dentist can also be useful in removing hard tartar that forms on the teeth but can’t be easily managed with home dental care. Early dental intervention is also important with children to set up good habits and supporting the growth of healthy teeth. Counseling on appropriate use of bottles and sippy cups, diet and tooth care early on can also be helpful in reducing plaque and tartar that can contribute to gum disease and cavities.
It’s easy to prevent plaque and tartar. You simply have to brush and floss your teeth regularly and effectively. It is also important to brush and floss correctly. Most dentists recommend brushing at least twice a day for at least two minutes. Make sure you clean each tooth thoroughly and use toothpaste with fluoride in it. Flossing is also important. You need to floss at least once a day to clean the areas of your teeth that cannot be cleaned with a toothbrush. Gently use floss to clean the area in between your teeth and between your teeth and gums as well. On top of brushing and flossing, it is also important to see your dentist twice a year for a check up, and it’s always a good idea to avoid sugary foods and drinks as well.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

can my toothpaste irritate my skin ?
Different toothpastes contain different ingredients, and it's possible that one of the ingredients i...
what are interdental picks ?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Interdental cleaning aids are another way to remove plaque from between the teeth. These product...
how should i care for my teeth on a daily basis ?
The best way to care for your teeth on a daily basis is by brushing twice a day with a soft-bristled...
what should i do if i get redness on the skin around my mouth ?
If you get redness on the skin around your mouth, try changing toothpastes. Ingredients in some toot...