Why is it important to prevent plaque and tartar?

Carol Jahn
Dentist
Plaque contains hundreds of bacteria. With regular dental cleanings and good oral hygiene, plaque stays at a mimimum and so does the bacteria. This helps keep your mouth healthy and gingivitis free. 
Plaque and tartar buildup on the teeth can lead to cavities and gum disease. Properly brushing and flossing your teeth can help prevent this buildup. Regular visits to the dentist and tooth cleanings can remove plaque and tartar that you are unable to remove. Try to brush and floss your teeth after every meal and see your dentist twice a year.

Preventing plaque and tartar is important to keeping your teeth healthy. Food particles and sugar that linger on the teeth become plaque and repeatedly attack the teeth. This can lead to tooth decay and cavities. Brushing teeth twice a day will help keep plaque and tartar from former and keep your mouth healthy.

Dan Jenkins
Dentist
Plaque and Tartar contain lots of bacteria that can dissolve the tooth structure causing cavities and bacteria that cause the gums to detach from the tooth as well as the bone supporting the teeth to dissolve away from the tooth.

Another reason is to prevent the bacteria in the plaque and tartar from getting in the blood stream and bringing about plaques in the blood vessels of the heart and brain. There have been many articles pointing out concerns over this.
Best bet is to play it safe and prevent the plaque and tartar and prevent bad breath and loss of social life as well!
Divyang Patel
Dentist

Plaque is a sticky yellow film which forms on the surface of teeth during the normal course of the day and when plaque is not removed while brushing the teeth, it will harden up to form tartar. Other name for tartar is calculus. Plaque will allow the bacteria in the mouth to multiply in it and the bacterial by products will deteriorate the enamel and also cause irritation to the gums and cause gingivitis. Hardened calculus will also act as an irritant to the gums and contribute to the bleeding of gums. Both of the above when left untreated, i.e. not removed from the tooth surface will eventually lead to periodontal disease and tooth decay.

Plaque is the leading cause of tooth decay and gingivitis. If you allow it to remain on your teeth you could end up with a mouth full of cavities, bleeding gums, and very bad breath. On top of that, if you allow it to harden into tartar, you could end up with stained teeth. Simply brushing and flossing your teeth regularly can prevent all of these complications and save you a lot of money on dental procedures. If you want to effectively prevent plaque and tartar, you have to do both. Brushing alone can’t clean the area between your teeth and underneath your gums. Floss at least once a day to prevent plaque and tartar build up.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
What do antimicrobial mouthwash and toothpaste do?
Antimicrobial mouth rinses and toothpastes fight microbes, or germs. Specifically, they reduce the n...
What is tongue cleaning?
Teresa L. Destefano, DMDTeresa L. Destefano, DMD
Your tongue can be a giant trap for plaque and bacteria! Use a tongue scraper and a tooth brush to c...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?