Why do I need to get my teeth cleaned?

At every exam, the dentist checks your mouth and neck for signs of disease. The dentist will evaluate your general health when developing a plan for your oral treatment, and refer you to a physician if needed. Your dental exam can detect early signs of disease:
  • Gum disease may be associated with other health problems like diabetes and heart disease. If you have gum disease, find out and fight back!
  • Your dentist has the skills to detect oral cancer early.
  • Your oral health is an important part of your overall health.
  • Oral health check-ups can detect tooth decay, gum disease, and oral cancer early.
Brushing and flossing daily will take you a long way toward keeping your teeth and gums healthy. But your toothbrush and floss can't do it all. Over time, the sticky substance called plaque that forms on your teeth can harden into a substance called tartar, which can be removed only by your dentist's instruments. Removing both plaque (which you can do at home) and tartar (which your dentist can do) are key to preventing gum disease and keeping your smile healthy and beautiful.
Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
For most people, visiting the dentist twice a year is recommended. In this video, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains that depending on your health, some people may need to go to the dentist more often.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
Can my toothpaste irritate my skin?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
There are so many different ingredients in most toothpastes that can cause skin irritation. It could...
What increases the risk of developing plaque and tartar?
Gerald P. Curatola, DDSGerald P. Curatola, DDS
Plaque and tartar (mineralized plaque) are now recognized as "unhealthy expressions" of the oral bio...
What can I do to save my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The most important thing you can do to keep your teeth is to schedule regular dental visits and to a...