Does it matter when I floss?

Flossing anytime is better than not flossing at all. But it's recommended you floss before you brush. This cleans out any food and/or plaque between your teeth so that when you brush, the bristles, toothpaste, and water can pass between your teeth to further clean them. 
Peggy Rosen
Dentist
It is important that you floss regularly and immediately after you finish eating regardless of what you eat. The longer you wait, the more bacteria will grow in the remaining food particles. The bacteria produce a harmful acid that dissolves the surface of your teeth, creating cavities. The remaining food will also become rotten and causes bad breath. Ideally, brushing your teeth after flossing will ensure total cleansing of your teeth.
The most imporant thing to remember about flossing is to do it! Always floss between your teeth at least once a day to help remove plaque from between the teeth and around the gum line. Sticking with a good brushing and flossing routine, along with regular dental visits, is a great way to keep your teeth for a lifetime.
It doesn't matter whether you floss first or brush your teeth first. Flossing first ensures that it gets done and also may help the fluoride from the toothpaste get between your teeth. Try to floss about twice a day to remove food particles that remain in your mouth from eating.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
How does pycnogenol promote a healthy mouth?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Pycnogenol promotes overall wellness and overall health in the mouth. It's been proven to seal c...
What are the benefits of tongue cleaning?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Brushing your tongue helps keep your mouth healthy. This removes any excess plaque and odor causing ...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?