How can I maintain a healthy pH level in my mouth?

A food's pH level indicates how acidic or alkaline (non-acidic) it is. The lower the pH, the more acidic the food. Some research indicates that a diet emphasizing foods and drinks with low pH levels can contribute to the erosion of tooth enamel. Foods and drinks with a low pH include lemons, other fruit and fruit juices, soft drinks, pickles, and fermented products such as yogurt.

You don't need to eliminate these items from your diet, especially fresh fruit (though cutting out the soft drinks in a good idea). But if you eat or drink a lot of them, try rinsing your mouth with water for 30 seconds after eating, or chewing sugar-free gum to rinse the acids away.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

is bacteria in the water at my dentist office harmful to my health ?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Biofilms are microscopic communities that consist primarily of naturally occurring water bacteria an...
what type of toothpaste or mouthwash should i use ?
Many types of toothpastes line the store shelves. Some say they're made for whitening, others for re...
are electric toothbrushes better than manual ones ?
Perhaps no dental debate is more hotly contested than the power vs. manual toothbrush discussion. Ev...
how can i avoid teeth stains ?
There are some foods you can avoid to help reduce tooth stain. These include foods with dark pigment...